小海棠上海验证

first_imgHealthLast Cuban doctor defectors arrive in US after policy change Leave this field empty if you’re human: Yet its critics are fierce.Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.) said the Cuban doctors worked under “modern-day indentured servitude” and that the defector program was “undermining the Castro regime by providing an outlet for Cuban doctors to seek freedom from forced labor.”Some critics also say the Cuban government exploits medical professionals abroad by taking away most of the wages paid by foreign governments and using the funds as a source of hard currency for the island.Alfonso said hundreds of doctors are currently stranded in Colombia, after deserting their missions in Venezuela, and many didn’t manage to apply in time.“It’s really sad that Obama left that legacy with the Cuban community, favoring the Havana regime and crushing the hopes of a group of professionals who want to be free,” he said.Yerenia Cedeno, a 28-year-old general practitioner, said she deserted her mission in Venezuela because of violence and meager pay that sometimes wasn’t enough to buy food.Although she had applied for a visa before Jan. 12, she thought her chances of reaching the US were slim once the program was canceled.“I am immensely relieved because when we saw the program ended, we lost hope. Then we got the visa, and I was so happy,” Cedeno said after arriving at the Miami airport. “We can say that we were saved.”— Adriana Gomez Licon Cuban doctors Yerenia Cedeño, left, and Carlos Amigo gather their belongings after arriving at Miami International Airport. Carl Juste/Miami Herald via AP Tags physicians By Associated Press Feb. 9, 2017 Reprints Please enter a valid email address. About the Author Reprints The waning administration of President Barack Obama canceled the doctors’ policy Jan. 12. It also eliminated the better-known “wet foot, dry foot” policy that gave any Cuban who makes it to US soil a path to become a legal resident. The moves lined up with Obama’s push for a more normalized relationship with communist Cuba.advertisement The program — begun in 2006 by then President George W. Bush — allowed Cuban doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals to defect to the US while on their government’s mandatory assignments abroad. Pavot said he had applied after the Cuban government dispatched him to a crime-ridden area of Venezuela, where many co-workers were attacked.center_img Newsletters Sign up for Morning Rounds Your daily dose of news in health and medicine. Related: But doctors who already applied for visas before Jan. 12 are being allowed in, and the final wave of those accepted are arriving on flights to Miami this week, said Julio Cesar Alfonso, director of a nonprofit that helps Cuban doctors resettle in the USOn Monday, a few walked through glass doors past Customs to loud cheers and hugs from close and distant relatives carrying flowers and balloons. They cried and took photos.Alfonso said 20 professionals arrived Monday and more are expected on flights this week.Some critics of the doctors’ policy have said it amounted to a more than decade-long brain drain for Cuba. But proponents said the doctors were forced by the Cuban government to toil overseas under often-grueling conditions and deserved to be liberated.The repeal of the “wet foot, dry foot” policy was welcomed by many in the Cuban exile community who accused certain recent arrivals of abusing privileges by claiming federal benefits and then traveling back to Cuba. But many of the same criticized the cancellation of the medical defectors program; they’re urging the Trump administration to restore it.Under the policy, qualifying medical professions could immediately apply for work permission and apply for residency after one year.President Trump has not established what, if anything, will change regarding Cuba policy. Press secretary Sean Spicer said last week the administration is reviewing its position with Havana.Cuba’s doctors abroad program has earned praise from the World Health Organization for responding to the Ebola outbreak in Africa and to natural disasters such as Haiti’s 2010 earthquake. MIAMI — Yoandri Pavot applied just in time for a visa under a recently scrapped US policy that had long welcomed doctors from Cuba who defected while on assignment in third countries.Pavot and other Cuban doctors arriving this week in Miami under the now canceled policy, called the Cuban Medical Professionals Parole, said they’re relieved to be arriving despite uncertain times for immigrants under the Trump administration. But they’re anxious about colleagues left behind.“I still can’t believe it. Pinch me. Pinch me. I can’t believe I am here,” Pavot, 35, said after arriving Monday at Miami International Airport holding a small American flag. “I wish they would give the ones left behind a chance because they are also fighting for freedom.”advertisement Privacy Policy Associated Press The Cuban hustle: Doctors drive cabs and work abroad to make up for meager pay last_img read more

first_imgSunbeam report and safety flyer published Our accident investigation report into the fatal accident on board the pelagic trawler Sunbeam on 14 August 2018, is now published.The report contains details of what happened, the subsequent actions taken and recommendations made: /Public Release. This material comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here. Why?Well, unlike many news organisations, we have no sponsors, no corporate or ideological interests. We don’t put up a paywall – we believe in free access to information of public interest. Media ownership in Australia is one of the most concentrated in the world (Learn more). Since the trend of consolidation is and has historically been upward, fewer and fewer individuals or organizations control increasing shares of the mass media in our country. According to independent assessment, about 98% of the media sector is held by three conglomerates. This tendency is not only totally unacceptable, but also to a degree frightening). Learn more hereWe endeavour to provide the community with real-time access to true unfiltered news firsthand from primary sources. It is a bumpy road with all sorties of difficulties. We can only achieve this goal together. Our website is open to any citizen journalists and organizations who want to contribute, publish high-quality insights or send media releases to improve public access to impartial information. You and we have the right to know, learn, read, hear what and how we deem appropriate.Your support is greatly appreciated. All donations are kept completely private and confidential.Thank you in advance!Tags:accident, Government, investigation, Safety, UK, UK Governmentlast_img read more

first_imgLinkedin Home Industry News Releases International Wine Tourism Conference (IWINETC) Announces Kent, the Wine Garden of England…Industry News ReleasesWine BusinessInternational Wine Tourism Conference (IWINETC) Announces Kent, the Wine Garden of England as One of the 10 Grape Escape Destinations to Wine for in 2021By Press Release – March 16, 2021 189 0 Previous articleChurchill Downs Racetrack, Kendall-Jackson, and La Crema Announce Multi-Year PartnershipNext articleLes Dames d’Escoffier NY Strengthens Role as Go-To Resource for the Beverage Industry Press Release Share Email ReddIt TAGSInternational Wine Tourism Conference AdvertisementMarch 16th – From over a 100 destination talk proposals received, the organisers of the IWINETC have selected 10 webinars to be included in the programme 10 Grape Escape Destinations to Wine for in 2021. The webinars were uncorked on 11th February 2021 with Explore Armenia through a Glass of Wine and Bulgaria – a Virtual Wine Tour and the series ends on 25th March with Destination Kent, The Wine Garden of England presented by Louisa Mungall, (Destination Development Manager, Visit Kent) & Sally Murphy, (Marketing Executive, Wine Garden of England).“The webinars are principally aimed at tour operators/travel agents that work, or are developing, wine tourism as part of their business. It also provides content and insight for media and wine tourism professionals”, said IWINETC Director Anthony Swift who added:“These webinars have been well received by wine and culinary tourism professionals from around the world as wine tourism is clearly one of the safest forms of tourism in these restrictive times we currently live in”.“We chose to include Kent in the webinar series as England is probably not the first place a wine lover and wine tourist would think of visiting. Tour operators and travel agents working the niche market of wine tourism are always interested in discovering new destinations to keep their customers coming back each year. So why not England in 2021 or 2022?”Destination Kent will be live on Thursday 25th March at 16.00 CET and registration to attend is free. More info here: https://www.iwinetc.com/grape-escape-destinations-2021Advertisement Facebook Twitter Pinterestlast_img read more

first_imgDNY59/iStock(WASHINGTON) — In a unanimous decision, the U.S. Supreme Court moved Wednesday to limit states’ ability to seize private property involved in a crime, saying the forfeitures are subject to Eighth Amendment protection against excessive fines.Tyson Timbs, a 37-year-old recovering opioid addict from Indiana, brought the case after state officials seized his $42,000 Land Rover following a drug conviction in 2013. A judge had sentenced Timbs to probation and a modest $1,200 fee. Timbs’ argued the subsequent seizure of his vehicle by Indiana was excessive and unconstitutional.“The protection against excessive fines guards against abuses of government’s punitive or criminal law-enforcement authority. This safeguard, we hold, is fundamental to our scheme of ordered liberty, with deep roots in our history and tradition,” Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg wrote in the court’s opinion.“The historical and logical case for concluding that the Fourteenth Amendment incorporates the Excessive Fines Clause is overwhelming,” she said.The impact of the decision could be significant, legal experts say, likely triggering action in states nationwide to move toward limits on civil asset forfeiture.In the 26 states and District of Columbia that report forfeiture activity, law enforcement agencies collected more than $254 million in funds and property in 2012 alone, according to an analysis by the Institute for Justice, a non-profit libertarian public interest law firm.“Instead of simply saying you were transporting heroin and the state is seizing your vehicle, a state would now most likely have to go a little further and consider whether that seizure was excessive or prohibited under the Eighth Amendment. That would mean a hearing or evidentiary finding,” said Christopher Riano, a lecturer in constitutional law at Columbia University.The decision also means Timbs will get his Land Rover back or compensation from the state for the comparable amount.The opinion by Ginsburg, which she read aloud from the bench, was her first since undergoing cancer surgery in December. It is also an indication that, as the court had said in the weeks before her return to the court Tuesday, Ginsburg continued to work from home during her recovery.Indiana had argued that the Eighth Amendment’s excessive fines clause does not apply to so-called “in rem” forfeitures, or action targeting property – not an individual — solely because of its role in criminal activity. The state argued that because Timbs used the Land Rover to buy drugs, the vehicle was a criminal tool.But the court, citing precedent, disagreed, saying that such seizures are “at least partially punitive” against the individual and subject to constitutional limits.Civil asset forfeiture – the ability of authorities to seize private property used in a crime – has become a lucrative revenue source for states and a tool to exact punishment, in many cases without insomuch as a court hearing.For decades, critics have panned the practice as “policing for profit” and an example of unchecked government overreach.“There can be no serious doubt that the Fourteenth Amendment requires the states to respect the freedom from excessive fines enshrined in the Eighth Amendment,” wrote Justice Neil Gorsuch in a concurring opinion.Gorsuch and Justice Clarence Thomas, while agreeing with the conclusion in the case, offered different reasoning. They said protection against excessive files was among the “privileges or immunities of citizens of the U.S.” guaranteed by the Fourteenth Amendment and that Indiana violated that privilege, not a “due process” right.“Petitioner argues that the forfeiture of his vehicle is an excessive punishment. He does not argue that the Indiana courts failed to proceed according to the law of the land… His claim has nothing to do with any process due him,” Thomas wrote in a concurring opinion. “I therefore decline to apply the legal fiction of substantive due process.”Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

first_imgAn acute and worsening shortage of conveyancers is putting the brakes on the housing market, according to a respected market bellwether.Since the beginning of the year, transaction times have lengthened by up to a month, The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors Residential Market Survey for August reports.One cause is the Mortgage Market Review recommendations published in April, which toughened lending rules by forcing lenders to spend more time checking applications. ‘While lender caution is reported to be the primary cause of delays, shortages of conveyancers and other skilled staff are also cited as issues,’ says RICS.As the Gazette has reported, 
amid the conveyancing famine which struck between 2008 and 2012, law firms shed entire teams of staff, which led to many experienced conveyancers retraining or leaving the profession completely.Simon Rubinsohn, chief economist at RICS, said: ‘The MMR and an increasingly acute shortage of conveyancers is adding between 2-4 weeks on to the time it takes to complete a transaction.’He added: ‘At a national level, the sales and demand picture was mixed. In London, the south-west and west Midlands, there was a significant dip in new-buyer interest, but Scotland and Northern Ireland were noticeable exceptions, where buyer enquiries remain firm, with a net balance of 43% and 52% respectively.‘While a lack of supply remains a challenge for the market across the whole of the country, there are at last some signs in the capital, where this problem has been most chronic, that instructions are now picking up.’last_img read more

first_img[av_textblock size=” font_color=’custom’ color=”]Thursday, April 20, 2017[/av_textblock][av_image src=’http://www.panaynews.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/sports-Manggahan-1030×687.jpg’ attachment=’103594′ attachment_size=’large’ align=’center’ styling=” hover=” link=” target=” caption=’yes’ font_size=” appearance=’on-hover’ overlay_opacity=’0.4′ overlay_color=’#000000′ overlay_text_color=’#ffffff’ animation=’no-animation’]RHICK LARS VLADIMER ALBAY/PNA rider races to the finish line at the end of the Tour De Guimaras last year in Jordan, Guimaras. The annual Manggahan Woodland Bikefest is set to kick into high gear this year with the 2017 Philippine MTB Enduro National Championship at the Woodland Bike Park in Sitio Sablay, Sibunag and annual the Tour de Guimaras.[/av_image][av_textblock size=” font_color=” color=”]ILOILO City – Guimaras may be more well-known for its sublimely sweet mangoes and the annual Manggahan Festival, but the rising interest in the island-province is also fueling a biking revolution in the popular tourist destination.Part of the annual festival, the Manggahan Woodland Bikefest is set to kick into high gear this year with the 2017 Philippine MTB Enduro National Championship (May 20) at the Woodland Bike Park in Sitio Sablay, Sibunag; the 6th Mango Man Triathlon (May 20), and the annual Tour de Guimaras (May 14).Sanctioned by the Union Cycliste Internationale and the Philippine Cycling Federation, the national Enduro championship will see participants competing in six categories, namely: Open Men Elite, Open Women Elite, 29 and below, 30 to 39-years old, 40 and above, and the Hardtail course.In last year’s Manggahan Open Elite hurdled Enduro race, Eleazar Barba Jr. barreled past the competition clocking in at 15:33.73 through obstacles and the rough forested terrain of their race route.The grueling competition is one of the main events of the Manggahan Woodland Bike Festival organized by the Guimaras Bike Paradise of the Philippines organization, held jointly with the island’s annual mango-centered festivities.Aiming to lift Guimaras to becoming a rising “bike paradise” in the Philippines, the organizers of the events wish to expand the tourism image of the island-province to include more outdoor sports and adventure seeking.The “Guimaras Bike Paradise of the Philippines” is an ongoing innovative bike tourism project proposed by John B. Lacson Foundation Maritime University and fully endorsed and supported by the Province of Guimaras.Other activities under the Guimaras Bike Festival are the island-circling Tour de Guimaras, 4X and BMX races and exhibitions, the XCO event, as well as various Kid Bike event.For the full list of upcoming activities, you may check the official Facebook page of Guimaras Bike Paradise of the Philippines./PN [/av_textblock][/av_one_full] [av_one_full first min_height=” vertical_alignment=” space=” custom_margin=” margin=’0px’ padding=’0px’ border=” border_color=” radius=’0px’ background_color=” src=” background_position=’top left’ background_repeat=’no-repeat’ animation=”][av_heading heading=’Manggahan paves way for ‘bike paradise’ Guimaras’ tag=’h3′ style=’blockquote modern-quote’ size=” subheading_active=’subheading_below’ subheading_size=’15’ padding=’10’ color=” custom_font=”]By Rhick Lars Vladimer Albay[/av_heading]last_img read more